Thursday, November 10, 2011

Carmelized Onion Tart

I remember (a while ago) wanting to surprise my boyfriend (at the time) with an amazing meal when he came home from a trip.  I had some ideas of my own then spoke with the executive chef at my restaurant for some more tips.  The final plate came out beautifully.  I did originally plate this warm tart with prosciutto wrapped prawns for him, but for obvious reasons that part is omitted.  

 The key is to find a puff pastry that is egg and dairy free- then simply form then into little flat-bottom baskets. I used both yellow and red onions, steamed them, then caramelized then with red wine, sprinkle of wheat flour, and flavored the onions with fresh rosemary and thyme.
I took a red onion and wedged sections so that they still hold together and baked them at a low temp just so that the ends were starting to crisp.  These I layed atop each tart for extra flavor and beautiful garnish.

 Top with fresh thyme and bake until done.  P.s. drizzle with a simple balsamic reduction and done.




No comments:

Post a Comment