Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I was CRAVING some SPANISH RICE

Woke up too early for comfort this morning due to the dog and cat wresting match taking place on my bed...
(Boston and Blue)
Anyhow its weird that when I actually wake up early I am STARVING at least way more than normal.  Being a food-nerd I went to bed thinking of lunch for today:)
In college I used to buy the boxed Spanish rice mix- the add diced tomatoes kind and loved it.  I knew that I had brown rice and a can of organic diced tomatoes so I made it happen.

To MAKE: In a small skillet sautee chopped onions and garlic until onions are softened.  Then add your brown (uncooked) rice directly to the skillet with a little EVOO- toasting the rice makes it taste just a bit nutty which I like but its totally optional.  Only brown the rice with the onions and garlic for a minute or so making sure not to burn your rice.



Ok, in another larger pot I have 2 cups of vegetable stock- BEST KEPT SECRET=  I use veggie bouillon cubes all the time! 1 cube yields 2 cups of stock you can just make and store in a container in your fridge to use everyday for flavor in almost every dish. (For example, steam your veggies with stock, make an easy quick herb soup, use in place of chicken stock in every recipe)
To the stock add diced tomatoes (fresh would be best but all I had was canned), couple dashes of dried Oregano, red crushed pepper flakes , and a bit of salt.  SIMMER.  ADD your rice and onion mixture, bring to SIMMER again and cover for 10-15 minutes or until rice had absorbed all the liquid.

MMMMMMmmmm super easy Spanish Rice

 







No comments:

Post a Comment