Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil Dumplings


Whether it's hot or cold outside, bundling up with a bowl of tomato soup is an all time favorite. 

 I didn't have any bread for that crusty slice of french bread that is pretty much a mandatory side to the soup- so I got a bit creative...AND...being that I have been cooking so much the fresh Sweet Basil I grow-my garden is a bit spare, so I needed some added basil  flavor.  Ta-da- Basil Dumplings (using the dried basil in my pantry).

You'll NEED: can small diced tomatoes, garlic, all purpose flour, dried basil, fresh basil, vegetable broth, olive oil, vegan butter, soymilk, salt and pepper. (I think thats all)

Drain your can of diced tomatoes and keep the juice for the soup later...spread out on a cooking sheet and season w/salf and pepper, drizzle some EVOO, and roast at 450 for 15-20 minutes.

MEANWHILE, make the basil dumplings...
I literally just threw together some flour with enough water, a pinch of salt, and a good bit of dried basil.  Until I formed a dough ball, roll it out into tubes the width you want, and simply cut in pieces (kinda looks like gnocchi).  TIP: If you are not ready to cook the dumplings (see below), wrap in plastic wrap and let sit in fridge:)


TIME FOR THE SOUP...mmmmmmmnnn
Simmer some garlic and EVOO, until softened, than ADD the roasted tomatoes and the remaining tomato juice from earlier ( I threw in some red pepper flakes for a kick of spice right about here)...Cook down for about 20 more minutes.


Add 1/2 cup "heavy cream"- which I made by mixing organic soymilk with some vegan cream cheese, it sounds super weird but I got that slightly sweet, rich cream flavor I was looking for.  Threw in my fresh chopped basil (about 1/4 cup), and 2 tablespoons of vegan butter.  Simmered for a few minutes and began to cook my dumplings...

DUMPLINGS :-)

Boil 2 cups vegetable stock and just toss your cut dumplings in, cook for a while because you want to make sure the center is cooked.  I think it took at least 10 minutes, they will rise to the top when they're almost done.

ASSEMBLE SOUP:

Just throw your tomato soup from the skillet into your blender...be sure to leave a few tomato chunks in the soup (cause come on- it's home-made).  Top with your dumplings and enjoy!


















No comments:

Post a Comment